2009 Lost in Translation Challenge
July 27, 2009 § 4 Comments
I found out about this reading challenge from Mark David’s book blog HERE, and I thought to myself, How interesting!
And that’s how I’ve ended up deciding to join this challenge too, in addition to the TBR Challenge, and another Japanese Literature 3 Challenge which is going to be up by the end of this week.
The Lost in Translation Challenge is to read 6 books in translation by the end of 2009. Sounds simple enough.
So again, I’m starting late. But I figure, why not?
This time though, I’m not going to put any of the Murakami books that I’m already planning to read, but some other books translated from some other languages. I found the 6 books on my list below from the 1001-Books-to-Read-Before-You-Die list.
- Almost Transparent Blue – Japanese (Ryu Murakami) ..[thoughts]
- The Unbearable Lightness of Being – Czech
- The Piano Teacher – German
- Of Love and Shadows – Spanish
- The Discovery of Heaven – Dutch
- The Devil and Miss Prym – Portuguese
I’m getting excited about this challenge. Really looking forward to reading those books now!
I’m adding here, on top of the books I’ve listed above, the other books that I’ve read that were translated.
- What I Talk About When I Talk About Running – Japanese (Haruki Murakami) ..[thoughts]
- after the quake – Japanese (Haruki Murakami) ..[thoughts]
- Sputnik Sweetheart – Japanese (Haruki Murakami) ..[thoughts]
- After Dark – Japanese (Haruki Murakami) ..[thoughts]
- N.P. – Japanese (Banana Yoshimoto) ..[thoughts]
- Shadow Family – Japanese (Miyuki Miyabe) ..[thoughts]
- The Wind-up Bird Chronicle – Japanese (Haruki Murakami) ..[thoughts]
- The Old Capital – Japanese (Yasunari Kawabata) ..[thoughts]
- Kinshu: Autumn Brocade – Japanese (Teru Miyamoto) ..[thoughts]
- Sophie’s World – Norwegian (Jostein Gaarder) ..[thoughts]
- Kappa – Japanese (Ryunosuke Akutagawa) ..[thoughts]
- Binu and the Great Wall – Chinese (Su Tong) ..[thoughts]
- A Quiet Life – Japanese (Kenzaburo Oe) ..[thoughts]